THE WORLD NEEDS WOMEN
by Dr Gregory Magruder | May 13, 2018
Gregory Magruder Parkview Baptist Gainesville, FL 05/13/18
"The World Needs Women"
INTRODUCTION: More than ever, the world needs godly women.
THE WORLD NEEDS WOMEN WHO PRAY
- Hannah (mother of Samuel) - She was deeply distressed and prayed to the Lord and wept bitterly. And she vowed a vow and said, “O Lord of hosts, if you will indeed look on the affliction of your servant and remember me and not forget your servant, but will give to your servant a son, then I will give him to the Lord all the days of his life, and no razor shall touch his head” (1 Samuel 1:10-11).
- Anna (prophetess in the Temple) – Luke 2:36-38
- Suzannah Wesley
THE WORLD NEEDS WOMEN OF WISDOM
- Abigail (Nabal’s wife) - Now the name of the man was Nabal, and the name of his wife Abigail. The woman was discerning and beautiful, but the man was harsh and badly behaved…Then Abigail made haste and took two hundred loaves and two skins of wine and five sheep already prepared… When Abigail saw David, she hurried and got down from the donkey and fell before David on her face and bowed to the ground. She fell at his feet and said, “On me alone, my lord, be the guilt” (1 Samuel 25:3-24).
THE WORLD NEEDS WOMEN WHO PRAISE
- Miriam (Moses’ sister) - Then Miriam the prophetess, the sister of Aaron, took a tambourine in her hand, and all the women went out after her with tambourines and dancing. And Miriam sang to them: “Sing to the Lord, for he has triumphed gloriously; the horse and his rider he has thrown into the sea” (Ex. 15:20-21).
THE WORLD NEEDS WOMEN WHO WORK
- The Excellent Woman of Proverbs 31 - She looks well to the ways of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. Her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: “Many women have done excellently, but you surpass them all.” Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. Give her of the fruit of her hands, and let her works praise her in the gates (Prov. 31:27-31).
- Priscilla and Phoebe - I commend to you our sister Phoebe, a servant of the church at Cenchreae, that you may welcome her in the Lord in a way worthy of the saints, and help her in whatever she may need from you, for she has been a patron of many and of myself as well. Greet Prisca and Aquila, my fellow workers in Christ Jesus (Romans 16:1-3).
- Philip’s daughters - On the next day we departed and came to Caesarea, and we entered the house of Philip the evangelist, who was one of the seven, and stayed with him. He had four unmarried daughters, who prophesied (Acts 21:8-9).
THE WORLD NEEDS WOMEN OF FAITH
- Mary, the mother of Jesus - And the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus”…And Mary said to the angel, “How will this be, since I am a virgin?” And the angel answered her, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; therefore the child to be born will be called holy—the Son of God”…And Mary said, “Behold, I am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word” (Luke 1:30-38).
THE WORLD NEEDS WOMEN WHO WITNESS
- Mary Magdalene - Jesus said to her, “Do not cling to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father; but go to my brothers and say to them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’” Mary Magdalene went and announced to the disciples, “I have seen the Lord”—and that he had said these things to her (John 20:17-18).
THE WORLD NEEDS WOMEN WHO TEACH GOD’S WORD
- Lois and Eunice – I am reminded of your sincere faith, a faith that dwelt first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice and now, I am sure, dwells in you as well (1 Timothy 1:5).
- But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus (1 Timothy 2:14-15).
THE WORLD NEEDS YOU, GODLY WOMEN.