by Dr Gregory Magruder | December 8, 2019
Gregory Magruder Parkview Baptist Gainesville, FL 12/08/19
INTRODUCTION: We lit the second Advent candle, the Candle of Peace, on the Advent wreath this morning. Christmas celebrates the promised coming of God in the flesh through his son Jesus the Messiah. Christmas also anticipates the time when Jesus will come again and establish his eternal kingdom. Advent is the promise of peace on earth. A new King will arise from the house of David and establish a kingdom of righteousness and peace. We find this image of the kingdom in Isaiah 11:1-10.
THE SPIRIT-FILLED KING WILL BE PERFECT IN CHARACTER.
*The Messiah will revive the kingship of David and create a new kingdom. “There shall come forth a shoot from the stump of Jesse, and a branch from his roots shall bear fruit” (Isaiah 11:1).
*The King will be filled and anointed with the Holy Spirit. “And the Spirit of the Lord shall rest upon him” (Is. 11:2).
*The King will demonstrate the fruit of the Spirit as he rules: “the Spirit of wisdom and understanding, the Spirit of counsel and might, the Spirit of knowledge and the fear of the Lord” (Is. 11:2).
- He will know right from wrong and decide the best way to respond.
- He will make plans and carry them out decisively.
- He will love and revere God and rule with humility.
THE SPIRIT-FILLED KING WILL RULE WITH JUSTICE.
*Motivated by love for the Lord, the King will rule with equity and fairness. “And his delight shall be in the fear of the Lord. He shall not judge by what his eyes see, or decide disputes by what his ears hear, but with righteousness he shall judge the poor, and decide with equity for the meek of the earth;
and he shall strike the earth with the rod of his mouth, and with the breath of his lips he shall kill the wicked” (Is. 11:3-4).
*The Messiah King will always do what is right and can always be trusted. “Righteousness shall be the belt of his waist, and faithfulness the belt of his loins” (Is. 11:5).
THE SPIRIT-FILLED KING WILL RESTORE PEACE ON EARTH.
*The King will restore nature to its original perfection.
- The hunter and the hunted will dwell together. The wolf shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the young goat, and the calf and the lion and the fattened calf together; and a little child shall lead them (Is. 11:6).
- Meat-eating animals will become plant-eaters. “The cow and the bear shall graze; their young shall lie down together; and the lion shall eat straw like the ox” (Is. 11:7).
*The King will restore humanity to perfect harmony centered in the Lord.
- The curse of the fall in the Garden of Eden will be removed. “The nursing child shall play over the hole of the cobra, and the weaned child shall put his hand on the adder's den” (Is. 11:8).
- Lasting peace will come through the knowledge of the Lord. “They shall not hurt or destroy in all my holy mountain; for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the Lord as the waters cover the sea” (Is. 11:9).
*The Messiah is the new root of Jesse who creates a new family for himself from every tribe and nation. “In that day the root of Jesse, who shall stand as a signal for the peoples—of him shall the nations inquire, and his resting place shall be glorious” (Is. 11:10).
The angels told the shepherds:
For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. And this will be a sign for you: you will find a baby wrapped in swaddling cloths and lying in a manger.” And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying, “Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among those with whom he is pleased!” (Luke 2”11-14).