by Dr Gregory Magruder | August 16, 2020
Gregory Magruder Parkview Baptist Gainesville, FL 08/16/20
INTRODUCTION: In August of 2000 I became the pastor of Parkview Baptist Church. Now today in August of 2020 I am preaching my final sermon as your pastor. My first sermon as your pastor twenty years ago had the following outline: First, let me do all I can for you. Second, do all you can for me. Third, let us do together all we can for the Lord. I can honestly say that we have accomplished those goals. In Philippians 4:20-23, the Apostle Paul said farewell to the church at Philippi. He stated two truths that I want to leave with you as I say farewell. You will do well as a church when you give glory to God and receive God’s grace.
GIVE GLORY TO GOD.
To our God and Father be glory forever and ever. Amen
*How do you give glory to God?
- Believe in Jesus and trust God’s Word.
- Follow God’s lead. Find out where God is at work and join him. So Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of his own accord, but only what he sees the Father doing. For whatever the Father does, that the Son does likewise. For the Father loves the Son and shows him all that he himself is doing” (John 5:19-20).
*Parkview has a new time and a new situation. Parkview has new adventures ahead. Give glory to God. “Our God and Father abounds in glory that just pours out into eternity. Yes” (Philippians 4:20 Message).
RECEIVE GOD’S GRACE.
Greet every saint in Christ Jesus. “The brothers who are with me greet you. All the saints greet you, especially those of Caesar's household. The
grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit” (Philippians 4:21-23).
- Preach the gospel of salvation. “For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast” (Ephesians 2:8-9).
- Preach the good news of compassion and mercy. “He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?” (Micah 6:8).
“Return to the Lord your God,
for he is gracious and merciful,
slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love;
and he relents over disaster” (Joel 2:13).
- Love one another. Love God, love others. “A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another”(John 13:34-35).
- Forgive as you have been forgiven. “Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony” (Colossians 3:12-14).
*I pray that Parkview will continue to be a place of grace and compassion, a safe place for all who are hurting and need God’s love. Preach grace. Practice grace. “Receive and experience the amazing grace of the Master, Jesus Christ, deep, deep within yourselves”(Philippians4:23 Message).
Parkview, give glory to God. Receive God’s grace.
“And now I commend you to God and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up and to give you the inheritance among all those who are sanctified” (Acts 20:32).