40 Days in the Word: How to Study a Bible Passage
by Dr. Gregory C. Magruder | February 28, 2016
Gregory Magruder Parkview Baptist Church Gainesville, FL 2/28/16
HOW TO STUDY A BIBLE PASSAGE
The key to Bible Study is asking good questions.
1. Observation: What does it say?
2. Interpretation: What does it mean?
3. Correlation: What other verses explain it?
4. Application: What will I do about it?
KEY 1 - OBSERVATION: What does it say?
- Paul intended to send two men to the church
“I think it is necessary to send Epaphroditus back to you.” vs. 25
- Paul endorsed them as role models who deserve honor.
(Epaphroditus) “Welcome him...HONOR men like him.” (29)
What does it mean to be like these men? What are they like?
- Notice five characteristics mentioned in the passage
vs. 22 “has proved himself”
vs. 25 “my brother, fellow worker, fellow soldier”
vs. 26 “longs for all of you and is distressed”
vs. 27-30 “almost died for the work of Christ, risking his life”
KEY 2 - INTERPRETATION: What does it mean?
FIVE CHARACTERISTICS OF A GODLY MAN
vs. 21 “I have no one else like him, who takes a genuine interest in your welfare. For everyone else looks out for his own interests…”
(TEV) “genuinely cares for you … others only care about themselves”
(Ph) “...they are all wrapped up in their own affairs...”
1. A GODLY MAN IS CARING
vs. 22 “Timothy has proved himself, because as a son with his father, he has served with me in the work of the gospel.”
(GW) “...you know what kind of person Timothy proved to be.”
2. A GODLY MAN IS CONSISTENT
vs. 25 “I send back to you Epaphroditus, my brother, fellow worker and fellow soldier, who is also your messenger, whom you sent to take care of my needs.” (GN) “...he has worked and fought by my side”
3. A GODLY MAN IS COOPERATIVE
vs. 26 “For he longs for all of you and is distressed because you heard he was ill.”
4. A GODLY MAN IS CONSIDERATE
vs.27+30 “Indeed he was ill, and almost died...he almost died for the work of Christ, risking his life to make up for the help you couldn’t give me.”
5. A GODLY MAN IS COURAGEOUS (FEARLESS)
KEY 3 - CORRELATION: What other verses explain it?
Timothy: 1 & 2 Timothy
Epaphroditus: Ph. 4:14-18
KEY 4 - APPLICATION: What will I do about it?
Personal Practical Possible Provable
- Honor people with these qualities.
- Which of these five characteristics will I work on this week?